Spring Cleaning Prep Tips
The weather is going to get warmer and you might be itching to begin the spring cleaning – you’re thinking about opening your windows and letting in the fresh air and taking down the curtains to wash and dry outside. But then you see the thermometer is saying winter is still here. What can you do?
Early Spring Cleaning Tips
- Purge, purge, purge. It’s easier to deep clean when the clutter is gone.
- Go through those winter hats, scarves and gloves. For parents, if your kids have winter gear that’s too small now or will be too small next year, make sure it’s clean and donate it. The same with boots. (wipe down the boots, be sure they’re clean before packing them away.)
- Wash or dry clean winter coats before packing them away.
- Wipe snow shovels, before you pack them away. If your shovel is broken, get a new one now. (And it’s ok to have more than one shovel. One for each member of the family means “many hands make little work.”)
- Wipe down the front of the kitchen drawers and cabinets and the insides of your appliances.
- Iron items like tablecloths and napkins before putting them away in drawers. (while you watch TV is a great time for doing that)
- Clean out your drawers. Do one drawer at a time (it’s less overwhelming) Dump the contents onto a tablecloth to catch any dust and dirt. (at the end of the project, you can just shake the tablecloth outside or throw it in the laundry)
- Scan children’s pictures and photos. Make a backup of the digital files, and you can throw away some (if not all) of the originals.
- Stop the ceiling fan and clean it. You can do this by putting your hands in a pillowcase and slide it over the blades, and the pillowcase will catch the dust. Change the setting for spring, remember: Spring – up, Fall – down.
- Check the filters and vents on your clothes dryer, heater and air conditioner. If it’s been awhile since you had your heater serviced, call and schedule it now.
Can you find your TV remotes? Are the drawers in your house clean enough to find what you need? Get ready for spring by picking one or two drawers and cleaning them out – you’ll be happy you did.